Saturday, August 11, 2007

Last Week

I don't really know what to say about this last week. My heart is heavy, but the joy I have is deep and strong. These children have been such a blessing in my life. They have taught me so many things. There were many tears at our closing ceremonies yesterday. The little ones put on all their peices of armor and sang "Joshua fought the battle of Jericho". PRECIOUS! A group of the girls sang a song to Keri, Lisa, and I thanking us for all that we did. Yes, phew phew, tears. My class performed their skit, there was a dance, and a rap, and some stories kids wrote. And one last time, we all recited Ephesians 6:10-20 together.

I said I have learned a lot, a lot about a passion to learn. Who in the states would ride in a tap-tap (taxi) for two hours here and back every day to come to camp?? Yes 2 hours, a 14 year old and her brother who is 11. AND NEVER a complaint! I have learned about joy and peace and strength from little Emmanuel and his smiles. His face radiate and this after so many losses in his short life; his mother to AIDS, caring for his baby brother, living in an abandoned warehouse with his grandmother, and not able to go to school. I can't even begin to tell you all that I have learned. Each beautiful face represents a story, a life, many of which we will never know all of the details. But what we do know is that we were here...here to open up the gate and welcome them in with a hug, a touch, a smile, and love every day for 6 weeks. God only knows what that means to them. And now we leave them to "stand firm" together. And wish a reminder that God continues to wait for them "at the gate" every morning to hear their prayers and to meet with them. I know that for me each hug was a touch from God to my soul. Jesus loves the little children, this I know! I have no more words.

I will probably continue to blog here a few more times but I'm not sure I will keep it up too long. Thanks for all the support and love. I'll be on my way back to the states tomorrow afternoon. I will post more pictures when I get home.

3 comments:

keri said...

WOW! What a summer. I am so thankful that I got to be a part of something so HUGE. Our God is so big, so strong, and so mighty....
English Camp 2008 here we come: ROOTED.

jenn said...

what an amazing journey!!! thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. hey, my roomie dina informed me you will be working in the schools. how wonderful! you definitely need to come by for dinner sometime! welcome back!

Andy and Kelly said...

Sara - I just finished getting caught up on the rest of your time in Haiti. Wow.... just so wonderful to hear about everything - and - you are now home! Congrats on the Wawasee position. I hope that is going well. Would love to catch up for a bit when things settle down for you. ~Kel