Friday, July 27, 2007

Another great week!

As the days and weeks pass I just can't believe all that has taken place here. These are things you package in the depths of your heart and save to pull out for a rainy season in your life. Keri and I were so exhausted on Wednesday; more than usual for some reason...and out of the blue little 9 year old Emmanuel, who knows very little English and probably none before this camp, walks up and points to Keri and then me saying to each of us "Jesus loves you!" Priceless. We were talking to Byron (missionary) this morning and found out that Emmanuel's mother died of AIDS about 6 months ago and he has been living with his grandmother in a warehouse. He was taking care of his baby brother Sebastian but when his mom died grandma took Sebastian to the Baby orphanage here at Heartline. Emmanuel visits his brother every morning before camp and afternoon after camp until his grandmother picks him up. Emmanuel has very little schooling because they can not afford it. He started in my class but could not even copy down the words from the board so he moved to the littlest kid class. Probably one of the poorest children at camp, but a smile that could move mountains!! This week we handed out the camp t-shirts. The kids looked great in the bright orange! We took polaroid pictures of them and they decorated frames to put it in. Yesterday I told the story of Joshua and the Battle of Jericho from Joshua 6. I love this story. To teach these children that even when things look impossible, if we have faith, God can break down walls!! You should have seen them singing "Joshua fought the battle of Jericho and the walls came tumbling down!!! They marched in a circle, blew recorders, and fell to the ground. Today Keri taught about Moses. Many of our kids are orphans, so she spoke about Moses being an orphan and how God used him to free his people and do many miracles because of his faith. AMAZING! I have never seen kids soak a message in like today. When my kids got to class I asked them if they wanted a faith like that and they were yelling "i want a faith as big as Haiti...I want a faith as big as the earth....I want a faith as big as the universe". I asked what was possible if they had that faith and they said, change in Haiti. Junior said that he wanted to change some things like stop stealing money from his mom. Such simple obedience. God is moving. My kids learned how to tell time in English this week, they learned the difference between the words love and like because it is the same in Creole, and they learned some more vocab of food items. We had fun this week! I can't believe there are only two weeks left. I thank God for filling us up with energy every morning...it is literally amazing because I wake up and feel completely drained. Thank you all for your prayers. I am sure this is a reason I feel strength. I am so thankful too that I have not gotten sick at all...knock on wood. A little soar throat and cough these last couple days but nothing major at all. What a blessing!! Can't wait to share more.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sara,
It was great to read about all that you guys have been doing. I will continue to pray for refreshment and energy for you and Keri. May God continue to show you blessings as you continue to serve him.